ZWest Staff will...
- Promote reading and writing instruction that is integrated across all subject areas.
- Recognize that literacy instruction should support student independence by providing opportunities for students to apply their knowledge and skills with materials and activities that match their abilities and interests.
- Ensure that concepts, skills, and strategies that students need to become proficient readers and writers are explicitly taught.
- Extend beyond teaching of essential literacy skills to helping students acquire a habit of reading and writing and seeing themselves as readers and writers.
- Recognize that all students need to be surrounded by a print-rich environment that demonstrates the power and importance of literacy, including a wide variety of engaging reading materials other than textbooks.